Britney Quotes Henry James On Instagram

I have read Henry James's works a couple of times but it's just because I major in Literature and I have to finish some paper. He is a really great novelist, has influence on many 20th century modernism writers such as Virginia Woolf(my avatar), James Joyce etc. He often writes about Americans encountering Europe and Europeans, showing the difference between Americans and Europeans, and because of some of his novels focusing on the characters' inner consciousness, so he is often considered a pioneer of the stream of consciousness novels. But his works are hard to understand, sometimes just confusing. I'm glad Britney likes him, at least some quotes from him lol. :bow: 

The full quote is here

“The French have always flattered themselves that they have gone further in the art of living, in what they call l’entente de la vie, than any other people, and with certain restrictions the claim is just. So far as man lives in his senses and his tastes, he certainly lives as well here as he can imagine doing; and so far as he lives by the short run, as it were, rather than the long, he is equally well off…There is to be found here, in other words, a greater amount of current well-being than elsewhere.†Henry James, in a letter to the New York Tribune (1875)

The full quote is here

“The French have always flattered themselves that they have gone further in the art of living, in what they call l’entente de la vie, than any other people, and with certain restrictions the claim is just. So far as man lives in his senses and his tastes, he certainly lives as well here as he can imagine doing; and so far as he lives by the short run, as it were, rather than the long, he is equally well off…There is to be found here, in other words, a greater amount of current well-being than elsewhere.†Henry James, in a letter to the New York Tribune (1875)

I need this translated haha

• Like 1

I need this translated haha

Lol yeah he is somewhat "notorious" for his long sentences which are very hard to understand. I'm not a native English speaker so maybe I'm wrong, but I think what he meant is that some people prefer live the life they want and enjoy the moment, the happiness can be found in "here", not "there" that is far away from you. And living by the short run is also an art of living, as good as by the long run. :) 

• Like 1