'someday (I Will Understand)' - Released 10 Years Ago Today

Happy Birthday to this under-rated gem! 10 years on and the message is just as powerful as it was the first time. Let's take a look back at the video and share some interesting facts.

tumblr_lh41b39Gch1qzznnqo1_500.gif

The music video for "Someday (I Will Understand)" was directed by Michael Haussman. Spears commented that he "[did] a great job capturing the song, the essence and the emotion" and added that the video had "a different feeling" from any of her previous videos. It was shot entirely in black-and-white. Spears asserted that her life had "come full circle" and implied that in the process she underwent changes in her soul and body, as shown in the video.It premiered on June 14, 2005 during the fifth and last episode of Spears's reality show Britney & Kevin: Chaotic, titled "Veil of Secrecy". The music video features a pregnant Spears lying in bed and walking around a house while singing to her unborn child. She also gazes through the window at the Roman sculptures in the garden.

Britney_Spears_Someday.gif

Spears composed "Someday (I Will Understand)" on the piano at her house, two weeks before she learned of her pregnancy with her first child, Sean Preston. She explained the song came "like a prophecy... when you're pregnant, you're empowered"

“It seemed very obvious what the song was about — motherhood — but there was no physical sign that Britney was pregnant during the sessions,” Sean McGhee, who engineered, programmed, and mixed the song, wrote in an email. “Certainly, we didn’t ask her any questions, I would not have wanted to pry into her personal life, but when the news came out a few weeks later, it wasn’t too much of a surprise.”

tumblr_mg9vqiBdfE1rzgycro1_1280.gif

Like “Everytime,” the ethereal ballad had been written by Spears at a piano and produced by Guy Sigworth, who has worked with Björk and Madonna and was one half of the short-lived duo Frou Frou. Engineer McGhee said he was impressed with Spears’ songwriting. “I think it’s actually very difficult lyrically to write something like ‘Someday’ without being mawkish,” he said. “A lot of pop songwriters would really struggle to write about it in a sensitive and personal way, but Britney had written something really beautiful. Great melody, great lyrics, but still totally pop, and totally her. Much harder than it sounds.”

Britney_Someday-2.gif

McGhee said he wasn’t told whether the song was to be a one-off single or part of a record. “If there was a larger context to it at the time, I wasn’t aware of it,” he said, although he remembered “Mona Lisa” was “mentioned by one of her label executives as a departure for Britney from what she’d done before.”

“Someday” and a re-recorded and reworked “Mona Lisa” both ended up on a 2005 EP that came with the DVD release of Chaotic. On the new “Mona Lisa,” the line “cuz she’s gone” became “she’s been cloned,” and the second verse was rewritten to be even more prophetic: “Now see everyone’s watching / As she starts to fall / They want her to break down / And be a legend of a fall,” Spears sang.

Happy Birthday, 'Someday (I Will Understand)'! We will be watching on repeat!

Read it on our mainsite!

too much about god the made up man in the sky like he has a plan for everyone it is too simple minded. sure he had a plan for like the millions murdered in the holocaust.sure someone was watching over them when they were piled ontop of each other in cattle carts.can't stand organised religion especially the catholic church total hypocrites, i remember being an alter girl and being behind the scenes getting ready for the mass and like they are generally not nice people.you would think they would be kind happy chatty people who like interaction with people but no it is very class orientated and gossip lead. spirits are free like nature and don't have life plans laid out. but if it makes people feel better to have a parent figure such as god then it does no harm i suppose.

too much about god the made up man in the sky like he has a plan for everyone it is too simple minded. sure he had a plan for like the millions murdered in the holocaust.sure someone was watching over them when they were piled ontop of each other in cattle carts.can't stand organised religion especially the catholic church total hypocrites, i remember being an alter girl and being behind the scenes getting ready for the mass and like they are generally not nice people.you would think they would be kind happy chatty people who like interaction with people but no it is very class orientated and gossip lead. spirits are free like nature and don't have life plans laid out. but if it makes people feel better to have a parent figure such as god then it does no harm i suppose.

GIF-Boo-hoo-Cry-about-it-Mr.-Krabs-pity-

I still love this song. It's diferent from everything she has done. And it's weird because at the time it seemed like the songs that would follow would be in the same vein and then she did Blackout lol. And the fact that she's credited as the sole writer of the song and playing the piano only makes this better  :)

Such an underrated song. Pregnantney was so stunning :crying2:

She was flawless!! :crying1: This song gives me so much power whenever I listen to it. It's one of her BEST songs and she actually wrote it which she can be so proud of! Really...and people still think that Brit hasn't got any talent. Stupid brainless haters. She always was a smart woman, but she did some wrong choices that's all (like, who doesn't?!)

The song is so powerful whenever you're feeling like there is no point in living or there is everything falling down on your shoulders... you must still believe that you are a part of something much greater than yourself and material stuff doesn't matter. It's about trusting in good on this world and believing that everything will find it's course, eventually everything will fall into place. I love this song so much!! It's one of my favourites. <3

I'm so grateful for all the wisdom Britney gave me! I just hope the GP won't be so blind and so mean towards Britney. She is a living legend! Period. :crying5:

She was flawless!! :crying1: This song gives me so much power whenever I listen to it. It's one of her BEST songs and she actually wrote it which she can be so proud of! Really...and people still think that Brit hasn't got any talent. Stupid brainless haters. She always was a smart woman, but she did some wrong choices that's all (like, who doesn't?!)

The song is so powerful whenever you're feeling like there is no point in living or there is everything falling down on your shoulders... you must still believe that you are a part of something much greater than yourself and material stuff doesn't matter. It's about trusting in good on this world and believing that everything will find it's course, eventually everything will fall into place. I love this song so much!! It's one of my favourites. <3

I'm so grateful for all the wisdom Britney gave me! I just hope the GP won't be so blind and so mean towards Britney. She is a living legend! Period. :crying5:

I think this type of songs deserve a lot more recognition. If the GP knew about them.. I remember showing it to my friends and they loved it and they said she looked gorgeous while pregnant :crying2:

• Like 1

GIF-Boo-hoo-Cry-about-it-Mr.-Krabs-pity-

i don't get what you mean by this post of a crab playing a violin. also somebody reported me for expressing a view on religion. i  personally find it offensive to be censored. It is not offensive to discuss the existence of god when there is no actual evidence. It is like being reported for saying i am Muslim because that is also another belief system.also religion and religious institutions should always be allowed to discussed negatively or positively because when it is not allowed for fear of being told off abuse of power occurs like what happened within the catholic church. 

i don't get what you mean by this post of a crab playing a violin. also somebody reported me for expressing a view on religion. i  personally find it offensive to be censored. It is not offensive to discuss the existence of god when there is no actual evidence. It is like being reported for saying i am Muslim because that is also another belief system.also religion and religious institutions should always be allowed to discussed negatively or positively because when it is not allowed for fear of being told off abuse of power occurs like what happened within the catholic church. 

i didn't report you for it, you're allowed to have an personal opinion on it

I think this type of songs deserve a lot more recognition. If the GP knew about them.. I remember showing it to my friends and they loved it and they said she looked gorgeous while pregnant :crying2:

They should be more recognized, I agree!! Those Britney ballads are probably the most beautiful pop songs, in my opinion. I love them all! <3

Britney should listen to us, her fans a little bit more than her team!! ;)